DEFCON Desktop Linux app (UNOFFICIAL)

Feedback to the Admin and Staff of the DEFCON Warning System. Comments and suggestions welcome regarding the System or the Message Board or any part of the DEFCON Warning System.
iron_eagl

Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:23 pm

That is very helpful. Thanks! That simplifies some of the code. And should also remove the dependency on ImageMagick.

iron_eagl

Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:17 pm

That did simplify quite a lot. The script no longer depends on ImageMagick, and due to the decreased downloaded file sizes I now have wget fully download and then check (1 byte) the file each time, rather than relying on timestamping. I also switched the script to run on just the generic shell rather than bash specifically, in case that had something to do with your issue. Thanks for testing this out.

RiffRaff
DEFCON Data Analyst
DEFCON Data Analyst

Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:53 pm

iron_eagl wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:17 pm
That did simplify quite a lot. The script no longer depends on ImageMagick, and due to the decreased downloaded file sizes I now have wget fully download and then check (1 byte) the file each time, rather than relying on timestamping. I also switched the script to run on just the generic shell rather than bash specifically, in case that had something to do with your issue. Thanks for testing this out.
So is this available for download at this point?
"It's in your nature to destroy yourselves." - Terminator 2: Judgment Day

iron_eagl

Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:19 pm

I suppose so. Realistically, it's only been tested on 1-2 setups, so there might still be some tweaks that will need to be made for complete portability, and I'll need to see if it catches the next system test, but it should be fully functional for all DEFCON levels now. All the mentioned changes have been incorporated into the master branch on GitHub, so you can download the zip file either from that main page or from the most current release. Personally, I will recommend git-cloning into Documents, that's the default "install folder" for the script to be in, so updating in the future is a simple "git pull".

RiffRaff
DEFCON Data Analyst
DEFCON Data Analyst

Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:51 pm

Okay, so what I'm getting now is an alert window popping up every 60 seconds telling me the DEFCON level has changed from green to green. Something is not picking up on when the alert level is unchanged, no new popup is needed.

iron_eagl

Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:55 am

Okay, I've been having a perhaps similar issue, it's taken me a while to figure out what it could be, it's not very repeatable. I think the issue comes in part from reading the value improperly, and thus going to an "empty" value, and then triggering it again when it correctly reads the value and updates it. Does it pop up only in pairs, 60 seconds apart, or is it truly every 60 seconds forever? You can stop the notifications by setting "NOTIFY=0" in the user config for now, I'll see if I can perhaps get it to catch the error and not notify if changing to an empty state or from one.

RiffRaff
DEFCON Data Analyst
DEFCON Data Analyst

Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:56 pm

You are right. It pops up in pairs, 60 seconds apart.

iron_eagl

Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:32 pm

All right. I changed the condition for notifying to also check if the "update" was due to not getting any data. Now it won't notify, it will just put up the "NC" icon for the next minute, or until it connects again, where it will then update with the current status, but won't notify. Not perfect - it's possible that the status could be 5, it could lose connection / skip a beat, and then when it reconnects and the status has changed to 4 it won't notify you. But it also won't notify you with those 60-second pairs, so that's good. I've been testing for the last 36 hours, it looks like that issue's solved. Updated script is on GitHub.

RiffRaff
DEFCON Data Analyst
DEFCON Data Analyst

Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:58 am

Okay, have the latest version installed. I'll let you know how it goes.

iron_eagl

Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:13 pm

As you may have noticed with the system test today, my mistaken understanding of how shell conditionals were written meant that a notification window popup would *never* be shown, not just not upon connecting/disconnecting. That has now been fixed, and the updated code is on GitHub. I don't know how I missed testing for that.