DEFCON Desktop and Android App

Feedback to the Admin and Staff of the DEFCON Warning System. Comments and suggestions welcome regarding the System or the Message Board or any part of the DEFCON Warning System.
DEFCONWarningSystem
Director
Director

Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:52 am

We are making a new DEFCON app for the Desktop and Android devices.

Please post any suggestions you have for them here.

Keep things simple please. We don't want it overloaded with features that can be annoying or people won't use.

RiffRaff
DEFCON Data Analyst
DEFCON Data Analyst

Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:45 am

Just my suggestion of a cross-platform desktop app that will run on Windows, Mac, or Linux.

Thanks!
"It's in your nature to destroy yourselves." - Terminator 2: Judgment Day

ZombieCow

Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:33 am

Clicking on the defcon alert level should take you to the latest "DEFCON Warning System – Update "

Macanan

Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:18 am

What I find hard to find is apps for Windows 10 Phones.

DEFCONWarningSystem
Director
Director

Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:20 pm

Macanan wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:18 am
What I find hard to find is apps for Windows 10 Phones.
It is only for Android phones and Windows Desktop at the moment

mergh

Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:35 am

I am not talking about the OVERALL defcon level.

But make like a MESSAGE defcon level for the app. So you can have a feeling how important the new top message is in the app. The message could be in the same color as you use in alert box or something. The MESSAGE defcon level (actual level) should be DWS decision...

Add notifications options to different message levels. Like if you hear the"red sound" you pretty much know you should store some water...

DEFCONWarningSystem
Director
Director

Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:45 am

mergh wrote:

But make like a MESSAGE defcon level for the app. So you can have a feeling how important the new top message is in the app. The message could be in the same color as you use in alert box or something. The MESSAGE defcon level (actual level) should be DWS decision...

Add notifications options to different message levels. Like if you hear the"red sound" you pretty much know you should store some water...
What do you mean by a "message level"? The app only displays the alert code. It doesn't display messages. At least, it doesn't now. I would like the new version to display tweets from us.

RiffRaff
DEFCON Data Analyst
DEFCON Data Analyst

Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:05 pm

DEFCONWarningSystem wrote:
mergh wrote:

What do you mean by a "message level"? The app only displays the alert code. It doesn't display messages. At least, it doesn't now. I would like the new version to display tweets from us.
Actually, the ability to assign different .wav sounds to the various alert levels would be kind of cool. "Summer Breeze.wav" for DEFCON 5. "Let The Bodies Hit The Floor.wav" for DEFCON 2, etc. :D
"It's in your nature to destroy yourselves." - Terminator 2: Judgment Day

mergh

Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:31 pm

DEFCONWarningSystem wrote:
mergh wrote:

Yeah, I mean an APP that display tweets messages (currently I'm not using app because it doesn't do that yet)..
I would find it nice, if those tweets then get a kind of Message level, from 1-5. If a message defcon 1 is popping up, I would go get water... (even though the overall defcon level still is e.g. 3)... Defcon 1 meesage could in my opinion be a meltdown in germany, which far from do not necessary make the overall defcon = 1, but still very serious state...

If I hear and see a message with level 2 defcon message (even though the overall defcon is 5), I would relax a bit, but still go and buy some extra cans of food... You know what I mean ?

DEFCONWarningSystem
Director
Director

Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:56 pm

mergh wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:31 pm
Yeah, I mean an APP that display tweets messages (currently I'm not using app because it doesn't do that yet)..
I would find it nice, if those tweets then get a kind of Message level, from 1-5. If a message defcon 1 is popping up, I would go get water... (even though the overall defcon level still is e.g. 3)... Defcon 1 meesage could in my opinion be a meltdown in germany, which far from do not necessary make the overall defcon = 1, but still very serious state...

If I hear and see a message with level 2 defcon message (even though the overall defcon is 5), I would relax a bit, but still go and buy some extra cans of food... You know what I mean ?
Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm not sure how to do that with tweets, though. We're already hard pressed to fit messages into 128 characters. Adding a token to it makes it even harder.