The Listening Post: 3/27

Monitor and report radio communications here.
hrng
Power poster 1
Power poster 1

Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:38 pm

Morning all, sounds like a very busy night, no surprises there. This data may be a little bit fucky as we just had a daylight savings change here, so UTC times may be off. If anyone's logged the stuff between 1500z and 1700z and can confirm the below times it'd be much appreciated. All of these were EAMs, no Skykings that I picked up.

12:33:00
14:02:00
14:31:00
14:37:00
14:42:00
14:52:00
15:01:00
15:07:00
15:13:00
15:19:00
15:35:00
16:05:00
16:14:00
16:39:00
18:22:00
20:03:00
20:09:00
20:27:00
20:36:00
21:33:00
21:36:00
21:45:00
21:50:00

Side note - I'm gonna be out of town for a few days starting tomorrow. Anyone keen to carry the torch on logging the calls? If not, I'll have the auto recorded stuff to look back at, but may miss some calls due to not being able to change frequencies. :)

FlyingScotsman

Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:39 am

hey guys. just going to start off saying this is my first time with this so im quite inexperienced :lol: so anyway now that thats out the way i have something that could be potentially useful. At around 01:15 on 6738.99 kHz some sort of code was being broadcasted. The quality isn't great and im not to familiar with military call signs but none the less i was able to record most of it.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0Ooq25cmCmw

If any of you could decipher this or clear up the audio it would be greatly appreciated 8-)

EDIT: more codes are being transmitted, started at 01:38, i'll try get them uploaded as soon as possible

Worldwatcher
Power poster 1
Power poster 1

Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:58 am

FlyingScotsman wrote:hey guys. just going to start off saying this is my first time with this so im quite inexperienced :lol: so anyway now that thats out the way i have something that could be potentially useful. At around 01:15 on 6738.99 kHz some sort of code was being broadcasted. The quality isn't great and im not to familiar with military call signs but none the less i was able to record most of it.

If any of you could decipher this or clear up the audio it would be greatly appreciated 8-)

EDIT: more codes are being transmitted, started at 01:38, i'll try get them uploaded as soon as possible
Welcome! :D
Here's a neat little info-graphic to help clear some stuff up:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2373
"There's a cold war coming,
On the radio I heard
Baby it's a violent world"

- Coldplay, Life In Technicolor II

FlyingScotsman

Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:08 am

Thanks WorldWatcher :D i had a look at the skyking codes, due to the audio it's hard to tell but i can't hear the term 'skyking do not respond'. which i guess means it's not anything of inportance. i'll post in in that forum just to see if there is anyone there who could do a better job than me.

FlyingScotsman

Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:09 am

Worldwatcher wrote:
FlyingScotsman wrote:hey guys. just going to start off saying this is my first time with this so im quite inexperienced :lol: so anyway now that thats out the way i have something that could be potentially useful. At around 01:15 on 6738.99 kHz some sort of code was being broadcasted. The quality isn't great and im not to familiar with military call signs but none the less i was able to record most of it.

Welcome! :D
Here's a neat little info-graphic to help clear some stuff up:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2373
Thanks WorldWatcher :D i had a look at the skyking codes, due to the audio it's hard to tell but i can't hear the term 'skyking do not respond'. which i guess means it's not anything of inportance. i'll post in in that forum just to see if there is anyone there who could do a better job than me.

hrng
Power poster 1
Power poster 1

Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:09 am

Thanks for posting! Can confirm both of those - 0012z and 0038z, both EAMs or "all stations" calls. :)

Btw, the codes you're hearing won't be decipherable as they use a "one time pad", but the amount of calls going on, the callsigns used, the tone/speed of voice, and the size of the message are all useful tools in figuring out if it's business as usual or shit's going down.

Here's my recording of the last one, the one before that was a bit broken and unreadable here, still seem to be getting some dropouts on the audio despite relatively clear transmissions: http://vocaroo.com/i/s1SazDo27XkT

FlyingScotsman

Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:11 am

hrng wrote:

Thanks for posting! Can confirm both of those - 0012z and 0038z, both EAMs or "all stations" calls. :)

Btw, the codes you're hearing won't be decipherable as they use a "one time pad", but the amount of calls going on, the callsigns used, the tone/speed of voice, and the size of the message are all useful tools in figuring out if it's business as usual or shit's going down.

Here's my recording of the last one, the one before that was a bit broken and unreadable here, still seem to be getting some dropouts on the audio despite relatively clear transmissions: http://vocaroo.com/i/s1SazDo27XkT
No problem buddy :D do you have any idea what it means or if it's important?

hrng
Power poster 1
Power poster 1

Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:15 am

FlyingScotsman wrote: No problem buddy :D do you have any idea what it means or if it's important?
From what I understand they're a way to send short messages to global stations in a reliable and secure method - so could be anything from "NK just launched a nuke, get your boys on the plane and go kill Kim" to "Bob, Jane's just gone into labour, congrats mate!", or "Exercise is cancelled due to weather, enjoy the weekend".

Someone with more experience may be able to provide more insight into the type of messages transmitted :)

FlyingScotsman

Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:17 am

hrng wrote:
FlyingScotsman wrote: No problem buddy :D do you have any idea what it means or if it's important?
From what I understand they're a way to send short messages to global stations in a reliable and secure method - so could be anything from "NK just launched a nuke, get your boys on the plane and go kill Kim" to "Bob, Jane's just gone into labour, congrats mate!", or "Exercise is cancelled due to weather, enjoy the weekend".

Someone with more experience may be able to provide more insight into the type of messages transmitted :)
Ahh i see, well lets hope it's the latter then :lol: hopefully someone could clear up the audio, could potentially be useful.