4 EAMs Today coincided with NJ sonic booms

Monitor and report radio communications here.
Upshot
Regular contributor

Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:45 am

dfreeze wrote:
jjjppp11 wrote: I might be wrong, but, if they plane is moving (Say southwest to northeast), isn't it constantly making a boom? Is there only ONE sonic boom that's produced? That likely makes no sense, but any physics professors out there, please fill me in.
No that's correct. "A" sonic boom is a pressure shockwave that travels with the plane.

It's not a one-time 'boom' when the aircraft surpasses the speed of sound. So the term is a little misleading.

http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/s ... hock-Waves
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/s ... ns.101281/

But the observer is stationary as the pressure wave passes. Usually, a sonic boom is a double tap- nose and tail pressure wave- BBANG!

Yeah, some really interesting RT out there. lit up the PRC nets on this end of things, too. Maybe the Kaiju are attacking again :lol:
Sometimes, the only rational choice is a head shot.

matty1053
Power poster 1
Power poster 1

Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:47 am

Wonder if they were testing a top secret aircraft...

or China flying their hypersonic ballistic missile launcher jet thingy lol.

Has anyone recorded the sound? (Boom)

Worldwatcher
Power poster 1
Power poster 1

Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:11 am

SCRAM jet testing?
Volcanic activity?
Sub missile testing?
Ayy lmaos?
"There's a cold war coming,
On the radio I heard
Baby it's a violent world"

- Coldplay, Life In Technicolor II

matty1053
Power poster 1
Power poster 1

Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:42 pm

Oswald wrote:Wow. If it WAS a sonic boom it must have been pretty close. A few of the news article reports six separate booms.

Holy crap..... Did the jet fly like 10 feet off the ground?!

Heh, maybe the SR72 was being tested. But it could be one of the X43A... Since that certainly be more ideal as it can go darn fast.

Upshot
Regular contributor

Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:38 pm

So much for 'stealth', eh? Lemme check the puzzle palace's and Hillary's email :lol: P'rolly something there...OK...it seems Chris 'krispy creem' Christie was on a chilli binge and had wicked gas...eastern seaboard might be in line for federal disaster assistance,though...

Dunno, dunno. Something new and weird? Gaspipe at it again? A Blackjack doing an oil-burner run? The mothership arrived? All we can do is speculate.
The story of an F-35 at the bottom of it is a bit had to swallow- those don't have enough range for a supersonic run that long. Besides, they can't fly in rain, sun, winter, summer, at night, in daylight, temperatures between -25 and 40, near water or dirt or in the presence of nitrogen or oxygen and trace gasses... ;)

Upshot
Regular contributor

Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:01 pm

Speculation until you get eyes on it. Those test articles go west out of V'berg for Kwaj, anyway. Eastern seaboard is way too busy for north launch ballistic work, no launch sites or instrumented ranges for that kind of work to the north, and the same traffic issues apply. Wouldn't want to blow away a container ship full of smack accidentally now, would we? Uncle Sugar's bankers would get cranky. Coulda been something out of Wallops, but they launch east, and every body in the neighbourhood would have noticed. 'Sides, any of the stuff done on the QT happens out of Barking Sands or Kwajalein, away from prying eyes. Some kind of Ex. Or...

Upshot
Regular contributor

Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:45 pm

...There can be no doubt...never seen one...being probed in the outflow valve by DHS doesn't count...but he's on TV, so it must be ALIENS.
Or honey boo-boo.... :roll:

asylum

Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:14 pm

ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. (WPVI) --
Officials say sonic booms heard and felt along the coast from New Jersey to Connecticut were caused by military fighter jets conducting tests.

A Navy spokeswoman says an F-35C and F-18 from Naval Air Station Patuxent River, Maryland, were conducting supersonic testing off the coast Thursday afternoon.

The F-35C has a top speed of nearly 1,200 mph.
http://6abc.com/news/navy-fighter-jets- ... t/1177618/

I live in south central NY and heard a bunch of rumbling, I really have no idea if it is relative to the "Sonic Booms"
However, it prompted me to do some research, I just found this article and I didn't see it posted here yet.
Career firefighter
Deputy Chief
Ham - GMRS Operator
Commercial repeater owner
Ability to monitor any frequency from DC to microwave.

DEFCONWarningSystem
Director
Director

Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:19 pm

Buzzer wrote:We're aware of the Navy's cover story about the F35 and the temperature inversion that made the sound carry. Have you seen my post on the SC sonic booms that were also "felt" on the coast two days earlier?
Let's be careful of statements like this which delve into the whole "conspiracy theory" category.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Worldwatcher
Power poster 1
Power poster 1

Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:54 am

Ayy Lmayo
"There's a cold war coming,
On the radio I heard
Baby it's a violent world"

- Coldplay, Life In Technicolor II