Ghost disease in NK, possible radiation poisoning

Address radiological activity of all types
Gen Jack D. Ripper
Regular contributor

Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:30 pm

There were talks about this on tinfoil nation, but now that it's on Fox News, I decided to share it.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/12/03 ... s-say.html

eth32

Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:50 am

If this is true, it means that the containment procedures at the nuclear test site are definitely compromised.

KimPossible
Regular contributor

Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:37 am

Really? I've bit my tougn a lot on here about crediting sources but flat out Fox News is not real news. More of a over bloated budgeted company only out for views not facts.
There is a war on woman! #VoteThemOut

DEFCONWarningSystem
Director
Director

Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:59 am

KimPossible wrote:
Really? I've bit my tougn a lot on here about crediting sources but flat out Fox News is not real news. More of a over bloated budgeted company only out for views not facts.
The article is fairly well sourced. Don't let your bias cloud your judgement.

RiffRaff
DEFCON Data Analyst
DEFCON Data Analyst

Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:09 pm

KimPossible wrote:
That has changed somewhat since Trump won the election last year.
"It's in your nature to destroy yourselves." - Terminator 2: Judgment Day

DirtyDevil69
Power poster 1
Power poster 1

Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:25 pm

DEFCONWarningSystem wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:59 am
KimPossible wrote:
The article is fairly well sourced. Don't let your bias cloud your judgement.
I hate to go political here, but this is the biggest issue in this world, ive found the DWS system to be biased (you cant hide it everyone is) but do not blantantly give info because its from their favorite source, and than delete posts from a news source they dont like. But this is why ive sticked with DWS for so long. They only allow factual information.
KimPossible wrote:
This is why their is such a split, both people on the left and people on the right are focused on their biased side and dont give a damn about it. I highly suggest you forget about your political position when on the forums in any location other than the political section. Here, we are dedicated to providing each other info and helping one another, so forget the political or personal bias and lets stick with facts.

Of course I'm not DWS staff, so i have no right to speak for them, but this is the general message ive received from them.

I would actually love to argue with you in the political section as to why you feel certain sources are not real news and why others are, because i also view other sources as not real news, and id love to have a conversation on this.

Sorry for going off topic.

If this was a disease, than it wouldnt be radiation poisoning? Or could something like radiation poisoning create a disease?

Also on that topic, its predicted that given enough time and enough radiation, it can completely mutate animals into something else. Is it possible that given with enough time, Radiation could per say, mutate the flu virus into something else?

I ask this because i find it hard to believe that it could actually be a radiation poisoning. I dont know alot about radiation but if they detonated a bomb i didnt think itd leave enough radiation to cause an issue. Unless we are talking nuclear reactors.

I honestly didnt read the article.
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.
~ General George S. Patton- WW2
Semper Fidelis (Always Faithful)
~ U.S. Marines

RiffRaff
DEFCON Data Analyst
DEFCON Data Analyst

Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:01 pm

DirtyDevil69 wrote:
If this was a disease, than it wouldnt be radiation poisoning? Or could something like radiation poisoning create a disease?

Also on that topic, its predicted that given enough time and enough radiation, it can completely mutate animals into something else. Is it possible that given with enough time, Radiation could per say, mutate the flu virus into something else?

I ask this because i find it hard to believe that it could actually be a radiation poisoning. I dont know alot about radiation but if they detonated a bomb i didnt think itd leave enough radiation to cause an issue. Unless we are talking nuclear reactors.

The radiation would be coming from their nuclear weapons testing facility, and the soil in that vicinity would be extremely radioactive from the underground nuclear detonations, easily on par with any nuclear reactor. If any of that soil leaked into an aquifer it could contaminate the drinking water, resulting in the symptoms described. We know that there was a collapse of a tunnel at their testing facility, so I would rate the odds of aquifer contamination pretty high.

The thought of a flu virus mutating from radiation is something I have never considered before, and it's terrifying if it's possible. We need to ask Doc if this is a possibility.

Gen Jack D. Ripper
Regular contributor

Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:10 pm

RiffRaff wrote:
DirtyDevil69 wrote:

The radiation would be coming from their nuclear weapons testing facility, and the soil in that vicinity would be extremely radioactive from the underground nuclear detonations, easily on par with any nuclear reactor. If any of that soil leaked into an aquifer it could contaminate the drinking water, resulting in the symptoms described. We know that there was a collapse of a tunnel at their testing facility, so I would rate the odds of aquifer contamination pretty high.

The thought of a flu virus mutating from radiation is something I have never considered before, and it's terrifying if it's possible. We need to ask Doc if this is a possibility.
Another possibly would be clandestine biological warfare from a country hostile to North Korea, but until there's a serious proof of this, it's tinfoil nation territory.

Radioactive pollution might be coming from their nuclear reactors and their plants to produce high-purity fuel for their warheads?

willrod1989

Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:34 am

Gen Jack D. Ripper wrote:
RiffRaff wrote:
DirtyDevil69 wrote:

Another possibly would be clandestine biological warfare from a country hostile to North Korea, but until there's a serious proof of this, it's tinfoil nation territory.

Radioactive pollution might be coming from their nuclear reactors and their plants to produce high-purity fuel for their warheads?
Radiation alone can't cause the influenza virus itself to mutate, since a virus by definition isn't alive. It requires a host to infect and replicate. However, some viruses (specifically viruses encoded with RNA), tend to mutate much faster than viruses encoded with DNA. That's why influenza can be so dangerous, since it mutates rapidly once it replicates inside the host. DNA viruses usually (but not always) tend to infect their host and remain dormant in the host's body. That's one reason why they also tend to mutate less frequently. Therefore, you don't need to change the strain used in vaccines for diseases such as hepatitis or chickenpox. HIV is so deadly because it combines the two types of viruses- it's encoded using RNA, but uses DNA to replicate. Therefore, it can mutate rapidly, but also stays in your system forever.

But getting back on topic. Extremely high doses of radiation in theory can actually inhibit the growth of certain bacteria and fungi. As a matter of fact, it's starting to become common to expose produce and meat to brief high doses of gamma radiation to, in effect, sterilize food. Since gamma rays don't linger in tissue (only alpha particles get absorbed into the bodies of plants and animals), it kills bacteria and viruses without changing the food in any way.

Now, with that being said, people who are exposed to radiation tend to develop immune suppression. This can range from mild from small doses of radiation in the long term, or from a moderate dose of radiation for a brief period of time. Exposure to high doses of radiation can lead to total immune collapse. And taking into account the crowding in shelters combined with a lack of sanitation, certain diseases such as influenza can spread rapidly, and could in theory mutate as it always has- inside the human body.

Please excuse my sort of disjointed thoughts- it's been a while since I've studied virology. I am a doctor, but I'm in Emergency Medicine, not Infectious Diseases!

RiffRaff
DEFCON Data Analyst
DEFCON Data Analyst

Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:11 pm

willrod1989 wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:34 am
Gen Jack D. Ripper wrote:
RiffRaff wrote:

Radiation alone can't cause the influenza virus itself to mutate, since a virus by definition isn't alive. It requires a host to infect and replicate. However, some viruses (specifically viruses encoded with RNA), tend to mutate much faster than viruses encoded with DNA. That's why influenza can be so dangerous, since it mutates rapidly once it replicates inside the host. DNA viruses usually (but not always) tend to infect their host and remain dormant in the host's body. That's one reason why they also tend to mutate less frequently. Therefore, you don't need to change the strain used in vaccines for diseases such as hepatitis or chickenpox. HIV is so deadly because it combines the two types of viruses- it's encoded using RNA, but uses DNA to replicate. Therefore, it can mutate rapidly, but also stays in your system forever.

But getting back on topic. Extremely high doses of radiation in theory can actually inhibit the growth of certain bacteria and fungi. As a matter of fact, it's starting to become common to expose produce and meat to brief high doses of gamma radiation to, in effect, sterilize food. Since gamma rays don't linger in tissue (only alpha particles get absorbed into the bodies of plants and animals), it kills bacteria and viruses without changing the food in any way.

Now, with that being said, people who are exposed to radiation tend to develop immune suppression. This can range from mild from small doses of radiation in the long term, or from a moderate dose of radiation for a brief period of time. Exposure to high doses of radiation can lead to total immune collapse. And taking into account the crowding in shelters combined with a lack of sanitation, certain diseases such as influenza can spread rapidly, and could in theory mutate as it always has- inside the human body.

Please excuse my sort of disjointed thoughts- it's been a while since I've studied virology. I am a doctor, but I'm in Emergency Medicine, not Infectious Diseases!
I would guess you have more background on the subject than most of us, so you're allowed to be disjointed. Thank you for your input!